Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has had yellow jelly-like diarrhea for 2 days, I

Hi, my dog has had yellow jelly-like diarrhea for 2 days
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: I don't think so. She had some new dried fish treats 2 days ago but only a very small amount
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is called Twiggy and she is 1 year and 3 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Twiggy?
Customer: She appears to be experiencing a phantom pregnancy for the past 2 weeks

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Twiggy.

Diarrhoea can sometimes occur with a false pregnancy.

Certainly, the new treats could also be the culprit.

The jelly will be mucus produced by the lower gut as it is inflamed.

Are her gums pink and wet?

Is she lethargic or off her food?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Her gums look fine. She has been off her food since yesterday afternoon. She seems tired and sad when she is laying around but has been playing last night and playing ball in the garden this morning.

Thank you, ok.

Is she up to date with her vaccines and wormer?

Has she had any vomiting?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think she is due to have her booster vaccines soon. Up to date with wormer. And yes she was vomiting yesterday, it looked like completely undigested food that she ate earlier in the day. (Chicken and carrot)

Thank you, ok.

Does she have any discharge from her vagina?

Or has she had any bloating or panting or excess thirst?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No discharge. And none of bloating, panting or thirst

Thank you, ***** ***** just typing my reply now.

Twiggy's signs may be due to a phantom pregnancy, or we could be dealing with a separate gastroenteritis.

It is important she remains alert and active and has pink and wet gums.

I'd offer chicken and rice little and often and stop any treats or chews. Offer plenty of water.

I'd also start a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as Protexin Prokolin to further settle her gut.

If her signs persist or worsen, a vet visit is best as she may require e.g. a rehydration solution, antibiotics and/or medicine to help stop her false pregnancy.

As those who've had false pregnancies are prone to them in the future, it is worth having her spayed once this finished, unless you specifically wish to breed her.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have attached some pictures of her recent toileting (apologies as they are not pleasant). I would just like to check whether I should take her for immediate attention based on this or continue to monitor at home as you mentioned?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (G6SP3L1)

Yes, I can see how sloppy they are.

The main risk would be from dehydration.

If she is stable and we can tempt her to eat chicken and rice and she holds it down, she does not necessarily need to be seen now.

However, a prompt vet check is best if she is not improving quickly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your help

No problem at all and please let me know if there is anything else.

Take care.