Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We just moved house and my cat's eye is unusually pink, I am

Hi, we just moved house and my cat's eye is unusually pink, I am worried she has an infection
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the infection yet? How long has this been going on with the cat?
Customer: I have not spoken to the vet yet as we have just moved and I wasn't able to register her. I notices it last night, so I think it's been a couple of days
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Peaches - 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Peaches?
Customer: I don't know if this is relevant, but we moved from a flat to a house and it's got more insects around. She is an indoor cat, but trying to explore the new garden a little bit

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a small animal vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear Peaches has this eye issue and understand your concern.

Is she squinting or rubbing the eye?

Does she seem lethargic or off her food?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello Dr Linda, thank you for getting back to me! She is squinting a little, I can send a photo of the eye, it's not usually that pink.She is not eating much because of the move, it's quite stressful for her as she only ever lived in one flat before. She is less active than usual which i can imagine also stress-related

I understand, yes.

Thank you, ***** ***** would be very helpful thank you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here it is
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
this is on a regular day, they around eye area is not usually pink

Thank you, ***** ***** just downloaded now.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions

No thank you, ***** ***** just typing my reply.

I can see her eyelid does look a little pink and inflamed and that there is some discharge from her tear duct.

The most likely reason for this would be a bacterial or viral conjunctivitis and cats often experience this when their body is under some stress (like in Peaches case, due to the house move).

We would also consider some irritation due to e.g. dust in the air or new pollen in the area, which may be causing a mild reaction.

At home, we should gently bathe the eye with cotton wool and warm water.

If she were to start rubbing the eye, we should use a buster collar to protect it.

A vet check is sensible, so we can stain the eye for any ulcers and flush it to remove any debris.

The vet may well prescribe some topical antibiotics for her.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much for your answer! I will do so and will make sure to register with the vet asap.

No problem at all and wishing the beautiful Peaches all the very best.

If there is anything else, please let me know.