Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’ve recently got a baby hamster, he’s about 10 weeks old.

Hi, I’ve recently got a baby hamster, he’s about 10 weeks old. I’ve noticed his bottom area has been looking a bit sore. I called the pet shop I got him from, and they told me it was just his testicles growing, I’ve had male hamsters before and don’t remember them looking like this. Today it’s changed colour and has gone dark brown and his tail looks dirty. He’s eating and drinking and seems happy in himself, I’m not sure if it’s wet tail or if he’s just not cleaning himself properly. He goes to toilet in his little bed rather than a corner of the cage. I have got photos of how it’s changed as well
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the hamster been licking or rubbing the sore?
Customer: hes been trying to clean it, he’s been taking little brown bits off it, but only when he’s grooming, otherwise he’s leaving it alone, he doesn’t smell either, which is why I’m unsure if it’s wet tail
JA: What's the hamster's name?
Customer: Honey
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Honey?
Customer: no, not that I can think of
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (1LTVZGV)
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience. 

I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Honey.

I agree with you that this isn't normal and is not expected even in a male developing testicles.

I echo your concern for possible wet tail, which won't always have a strong smell.

Other considerations would include:

•  A urinary tract infection
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Bladder stones 
  • etc. 

A vet check is very important here and the sooner the better.

Even when these little guys seem okay, they can go downhill quickly.

The vet will be able to determine what is staining the fur and will check Honey all over.

Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics, fluids and gut motility drugs.

How does this all sound?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Linda, thank you for your reply. I’m taking him to the vets tomorrow, that’s the earliest they had so I’m just hoping he’s ok until then. Thank you
I understand.Fingers crossed he does well and is soon back to normal.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.