Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Last night, approx 25hours ago now, our collie found

Hi. Last night, approx 25hours ago now, our collie found something in the field and would not let me have it, we are camping at the moment. Whatever it was took him time and chomping to get down, when I first tried to retrieve it, it felt hard, maybe slightly chewy, and a good few inches in diameter. I knew if I didn't leave him, he'd swallow it whole! So he chomped more and it went down! Since then I have been worrying about it, he's also a vulnerable dog in that he's on steroids at moment for imha which is improving fingers crossed!ūü§ě, ( he is in remission from mast cell cancer and oncology think he has reacted to a drug called masivet after 1 year being on it) Anyway so far, he's had no ill effects. He has moved his bowels at 12 hours post eating item and again at 22hours. ,,He has been energetic considering his issues today and eating and drinking fine . He is passing wind too . Lol. Do I just monitor him for now do you think? It's rather tricky as we are on holiday with him .
JA: Hi there. I know how worrying cancer can be. Let me get you the Vet right away. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share?
Customer: The cancer is not the problem at this moment, that is his background, its more concern he ate something that may be too big for his system or makes him ill. Thank
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to ejar of this situation and I appreciate your concern. At this stage however there is not much more we can do other than to monitor him. We are past the point where making him vomit would be helpful, so we will need to keep a very close eye on him over the next few days. If we get any symptoms of vomiting, lethargy, abdominal discomfort etc then an urgent visit to the vets for further investigation such as diagnostic imaging would be your next port of call. However if he is eating, drinking, passing faeces and showing none of the above symptoms then this is not required at present.

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. I think if he hadn't already been through so much as a very vet phobic dog who also has severe separation anxiety and if had been home I'd have probably rang for advice last night. Instead worried over it all night and today. Thank you for your help!
Ah poor chap. Hopefully this ingested object will pass without further veterinary intervention. All the best.