Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog seems to be panting a lot, and he also is not

My dog seems to be panting a lot, and he also is not sleeping a lot, he also is seems to me be biting near groin/backend, there is no marks from his biting though.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this panting happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the dog have a cough as well?
Customer: sometimes, no cough.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Benji, and he is 4 years old, sprocker spaniel
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't believe so, he has no existing health issues.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
he rarely sleeps. always seems uncomfy and wakes up after say, 30 minutes
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Benji.

Regrettably, we don't have a lot to go on.

Excessive panting can represent both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheochromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiopulmonary disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity.

He appears to be agitated/anxious and his biting in that area could indicate flea saliva allergy or perhaps skin infection.  Can you upload photos of where he's been biting to our conversation?  You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other". 

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I apologise for not giving enough details; aside from what I mentioned, it's difficult to accurately assess his symptoms. Nothing major has occurred, and he is eating normally and drinking as usual. He is also still very active. I hope this picture will be of some assistance; it's not the best because he dislikes being held still, but I still hope it will.
The photo is out of focus but I believe that I see the culprit.  See image and arrow pointing to what looks likes trauma to his penis.

Let me know what you think, please.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Dr,I have managed to calm him enough to take a lot more accurate pictures, I hope those pictures help and maybe you can confirm with one of them, if he does Indeed have trauma to his penis, and if so, which steps do you think I should take. Thank you so much in advance.
These excellent photos don't reveal penile trauma  Thank you for posting these.

We need to consider something else agitating him and that might require his vet's attention.

Benji's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of fasted (at least 4 hours but never restrict water) blood and urine tests.  Imaging in the form of X-rays and ultrasound might be recommended as well.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much for your response. I have an appointment with my local veterinarian on Monday. Do you think this would necessitate an emergency visit? That's the only "normal" appointment I could get, which I made yesterday. I appreciate your insight.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would characterise his behaviour as clingy; he constantly needs to be on someone or extremely close to someone, such as on someone's lap. This behaviour only started occurring in the last three days or so, and although some people have suggested that this might be a gland issue, it would be best to take him to get a full examination as you suggested.
Benji isn't an emergent patient but he certainly is anxious.  I'm pleased that he's scheduled to be examined on Monday.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.