Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Yesterday night my cat started hacking/coughing as if he’s

Hi, yesterday night my cat started hacking/coughing as if he’s trying to vomit but nothing comes out, and his meow is like he has a cold. It seemed like he wanted to vomit a hair ball. He is eating, going to the litter box all normal. Just a bit more tired, he’s 11 years old.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How has the cat's appetite been? Any changes in his stool?
Customer: no changes
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Liam
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Liam?
Customer: No
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with LIam.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Let me know what you think Liam may have.

It's unclear to me if his hacking/coughing and now change of voice indicate upper respiratory infection or, instead, gastroesophageal reflux (acid reflux, heartburn).

Do you see conjunctivitis, sneezing, nasal discharge, or dyspnea (difficulty breathing) which would support respiratory tract infection?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
None of the above.

Thank you.  How is he doing today, please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He is fine, today he asked for cuddles and played a bit. He gagged just twice today, Yesterday he was gagging every hour or so.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I thought it it was a hair ball coming so I gave him the hair ball paste and after that he stopped gagging as often.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the meowing like he has a cold. Still the same

I'm going to ask you to continue monitoring (only).  Feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) laryngitis is most likely but I can't rule out a hairball from here.  The paste can't be harmful and makes sense.

Most cats will go into remission unaided from FHV-1 within 1-3 weeks from the onset of their clinical signs.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay, thank you. Should I book a consultation with the vet so they can see him? Or wait until tomorrow to see how he’s doing?

I believe that monitoring (only) is most appropriate.  As long as he continues to eat, drink, and otherwise act normal, he doesn't need the attention of his vet.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay, thank you so much for your time.

You're quite welcome.  I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.