Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My kitten is not acting normal has been pooing out blood the

Customer Question

My kitten is not acting normal has been pooing out blood the whole of today
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the kitten seemed more or less thirsty since this started?
Customer: She does not want to eat or drink anything and has been in the same spot all day
JA: Did the kitten eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: My neighbor has this spikes on his fence and I am worried it may harmed her I do not think so
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: hee Name is ***** *****
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Mimi?
Customer: the insides of her eyes are red in some places and she is not opening them fully as well as breathing a bit heavy
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Mimi.

What age is she?

Are her gums still pink and wet?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She is just over four months old and her gums are dry and pale pink

Ok, thank you.

Is she breathing fast?

Does her tummy seem bloated?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She’s breathing a littl but faster but and her belly does seem to bloated but she does not want to be moved from her spot so I can not check it properly

Can you please count how many times she breathes in one minute?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
About 28 times they are deep breaths

Ok, thank you.

Is it possible she has fallen from a height or had access to a toxin (like rat bait or a plant)?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it could be possible but my neighbor has installed large metal spikes on the top of his fence and I am afraid she might have gone into her bottom as that is the area that I am worried about
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She is still moving around slightly

Thank you, ok.

I am just typing my reply now.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay thank you

I'm sorry Mimi is poorly and know you will be very concerned for her.

These signs are very worrying and there are several possibilities here including:

• A serious viral or bacterial infection
  • A recent toxin ingestion
  • A foreign body in the gut
  • A recent trauma causing internal bleeding
  • A blood clotting disorder
  • Etc.

I think it is unlikely she has impaled herself on the spike if we are not seeing external signs of trauma. Also, it would have been very difficult for her to remove herself from this situation. However, it is worth keeping in mind.

Given how you have described her and as her gums are dry (which indicates dehydration or low blood volume), I would want her seen by an emergency vet now.

They will examine her and may run some tests such as a blood test and imaging, to determine what is going on.

Her treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g. fluids, antibiotics and antacids.

Hopefully she is feeling better very soon.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am seeing a bit of external trauma a bit of swelling in the bottom but she does not let me pull her tail up to high

In this case, trauma is quite possible. The vet will best be able to examine her and should be able to provide more answers here.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Do you know of any emergency vets Near East Ham

Sure, one moment.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much

Vets Now Thamesmead:***********/p>

Medivet Beckenham:***********/p>

Hi there, how is Mimi doing?

I hope Mimi is doing well.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.