Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Dog, Shes a York. She didn't eat today and has been sick

Customer Question

Hello. Dog
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Shes a York. She didn't eat today and has been sick twice she is sleepy and don't want to play I funding a Little spot of blood in her vomit
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No in pain i don't know
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: She let me to tuch the toomy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No Its not my dog its my friends dog I'm looking after her as the are on holiday
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with your friend's dog.

Hematemesis - vomiting blood - is a danger sign for quite a few disorders. They include bleeding disorders such as anticoagulant rodenticide toxicosis, heavy metal intoxication - arsenic, lead, and zinc, mainly, infectious disorders (parasites, viral or bacterial gastroenteritis), gastroduodenal erosions/ulcerations – pharmacologic, or non-pharmacologic due to infiltrative disease such as neoplasia or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), metabolic disorders (renal and hepatic disease; Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), stress erosions/ulcerations from sepsis, for example, drug administration (glucocorticoids (steroids) and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), gastric/duodenal foreign bodies, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (a toxic shock-type of disorder), and esophageal disorders.

There are so many possible causes of her presentation that a vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of fasted (at least 4 hours but never restrict water) blood and urine tests. Imaging in the form of X-rays and ultrasound might be recommended as well.

Caretakers can't help these dogs if for the only reason anything given orally isn't likely to stay down.  I'm hopeful that your friend had given you permission to bring this dog to her vet.  Many of the causes of hematemesis can be life-threatening.

I understand that it's very early morning where you live.  I'm in the Hawaii time zone 10 hours earlier than you.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.