Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog Marley is ten in august and he’s usually very active

Customer Question

My dog Marley is ten in august and he’s usually very active and always following me. He hasn’t eaten in two days drinks then brings it up and is very lethargic
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: he’s not making any noise to tell me he’s in pain
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Marley. 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Marley?
Customer: he drinks then brings it up. Won’t eat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 days ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have more than thirty years of experience in the veterinary field. I’m happy to help with your question today. But please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions first. Thank you!

Before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Has Marley normally been in good health up to this point?

2. Is there any significant history of any ongoing disease conditions of any kind?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Marley has always been in good health. No history of ongoing disease or condition

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, I am typing up your answer right now.

My aim is to get an initial answer back to you within the next ten minutes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you

I am sorry to hear about Marley's problem; I know you must be very concerned. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly for you.

But please understand that this sort of thing is always a gamble, so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing, you should have a vet check Marley over without delay.

Some degree of lethargy and lack of appetite is not uncommon when a dog is vomiting. That said, vomiting in the dog is quite common; it can occur when a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, perhaps has had some unaccustomed rich human foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. But of course, much more serious causes can occur.

I will give you a home remedy treatment plan, which could help with uncomplicated minor cases. Indeed this could well resolve the issue. It could also help settle things down in more serious situations until you can get Marley to your vet.

Treatment Plan.

1. Pepcid, an over-the-counter " human " drug, can be useful to treat dogs suffering from gastroenteritis. Here is a link to a web page that has all the information you might need, including dose rates and contraindications:
https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs/

2. In simple cases, controlling the dog's diet alone can often resolve things. The basis of this is to give Marley's intestinal tract a complete rest and then slowly bring it back to function.

A. Starve Marley for 24 hours but ensure she has water access. If she is not drinking, you may want to give small amounts of water on the hour with a dropper or syringe.

B. The next day, feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be like chicken, fish, scrambled eggs, etc., with a little rice.

C. If Marley picks up on this diet, gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days

3. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into Marley's intestinal tract and could help restore the balance. You do not need to give much; a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Alternatively, consider a probiotic such as Forti Flora which can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.

But I have to really stress this last part. Do not take risks; if things do not quickly resolve or if Marley deteriorates significantly, you should have a local vet check her over as soon as possible.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today, so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Marley's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk about things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr. Scott
Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. I aim to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your advise I’ll will try these and fingers crossed they will help. Also how can I give him food without forcing him.

Hopefully, the sort of home remedies that I've outlined will start to make him feel better and he will then spontaneously start to eat. What would help in the meantime would be some Hills-AD canned food. This is designed for recovering and sickly animals and it can be given orally with a syringe. You should be able to pick this up from your local vet.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

No problem, I am very glad to be advising you.

But please let me know how Marley gets on.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will do

You're welcome.

Regards,

Dr. Scott

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer, I hope you are happy with our service. But please let me know if you still need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions related to your current issue - I am always happy to help.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello just thought I would let you know. Marley died

I am so sorry to hear your news ...

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 days ago.

Hello again,

I just thought I would check back in to see how you are getting on.

It is such an upsetting time when you lose a much loved pet.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Well I am heart broken and can’t seem to get his passing out of my head. I was there till the end. It’s just so upsetting. Thanks for checking on me

I feel the same way when one of my pets passes, it is worse in a way for a vet because you always feel that you should have done more ... It does get better with time though.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hopefully I’ll have him back home soon and I will feel better with him there if that makes sense

It does ...