Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

One of my guinea pigs have developed behaviour issues, when

Customer Question

One of my guinea pigs have developed behaviour issues, when handling her to go out of the hutch so that I can deep clean it, she bites kicks scratches atc, she is now at the age where it is impossible to handle her without being injured and I'm not sure how to resolve this, I have tried everything suggested previously to keep her calm but this isn't working
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is around 1 year 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
please continue to look
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Squeak.

Was she always like this to some extent or is this an unexpected personality change?

Does she live with other pets?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is quite unexpected, she used to be okay being handled and touched! I have a second guinea pig that lives with her but no issues between them! I also have a dog but does not have access to them

Thank you, understood.

And the other guinea pig is acting as normal?

Has anything changed in their routine or environment?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the other guinea is normal behaviour! No nothing has changed
Thank you, ***** *****When was she last seen for a general check over and did the vet check her teeth and urine?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Seen them when they turned one about 5 months ago! They checked teeth and we're fine but not urine
Sure thing, understood.

Before typing my reply, is there anything else I should know?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not that I can think of

Sure thing.

Please bear with me as I type my reply.

I'm sorry Squeak has been acting this way and know it will be concerning and upsetting for you.

In some instances, it is a case of a 'personality type' or limited socialisation when they were younger. It can also be secondary to heightened anxiety levels, perhaps caused by wildlife nearby or unseen bullying by the other guinea pig.

It is not uncommon in cases like this, for there to be an underlying medical issue. Subtle issues such as spurs on the back teeth, bladder stones and joint pain could all be to blame.

A vet check is sensible so we can check her all over and rule out a medical problem.

In the meantime, I'd minimise any handling as it will only serve to increase her stress levels and the more we ignore her body language and warnings, the more she will react when she sees us coming.

Is this all ok?

Do you have any further questions?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.