Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’ve got a Belgian Mali of whom is 16 month and suffers

Customer Question

Hi, I’ve got a Belgian Mali of whom is 16 month and suffers really bad with fear/anxiety based aggression how do I get a prescription for some medication whilst I continue to train him to help as much as possible
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: Does this aggression happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: it’s fear/anxiety based, he’s absolutely fine around the house and people/dogs he knows - not great around others
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with his anxiety?
Customer: just training but I’ve been reading up onClomicalm and people have seen much better results enforcing the good behaviours ect whilst on this
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear, 15 Months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bear?
Customer: Nothing
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry you've been having issues with Bear's behaviour.

Medicine like Clomicalm and Fluoxetine can certainly help in situations like this and can increase the chances of a behavioural programme working.

As these are prescription only medications, Bear's vet needs to prescribe them.

This usually means a consult to check him over and discuss the issues. The vet can then either issue the medicine or write a script so you can order them online.

If seen recently or his vet knows him well, they can sometimes issue a prescription without a consult.

Prescriptions tend to cost about £15.

How does this all sound?

Do you have any further questions today?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.