Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have three small kittens that a feral cat came with to

Customer Question

Hello. We have three small kittens that a feral cat came with to our garden last Friday. We took them inside since we regularly get foxes visiting our garden. The kittens all look healthy and are active. Mother cat is feeding them several times a day. The problem is that none of the kittens have pooped since we got them. It's more than 48 hours now.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: They don't have a name yet
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They haven't pooped for more than 2 days
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for these little ones.

Do we know roughly their age?

Do they seem bloated and have they been straining?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I think they are between 3 and 4 weeks. They don't look bloated. They sleep a lot but that's probably normal for their age.

Thanks, sure.

Have you started offering solid food?

Do you see mother cat stimulating them (by licking their bums after a feed)?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I know the mother is licking them a lot after each meal but I haven't seen her licking their bums specifically

Thank you, ok.

So at this age, if we have not started to wean onto solids, it would be expected that the mother would still be eating the stool.

They sometimes do this so innocuously while grooming, that it easily goes unnoticed.

If we have not started to offer solid food, this is likely what is going on, especially if the kittens have no other signs.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They have not eaten any solid food
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I see
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
okay thanks

Ah ok!

Yes, I suspect this is our answer.

Once over 3 weeks, we can start to introduce kitten food.

We should also be offering kitten food to mum as this will contain the extra calories and calcium she needs.

Once kittens eat this, we will start to see poos, as mum stops eating them.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
we will try kitten food next week
Ok, perfect.
Do you have any further questions?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.