Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My pups ears have black wax at the edge of his ear canal,

Customer Question

My pups ears have black wax at the edge of his ear canal, shoukd I remove it or wait for a vet?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern.

What age is your puppy?

Are they bothered by their ear?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is coming up for 11 months oldHe keeps rubbing them on the rub, he doesn’t seem in pain

Thank you, sure!

Would a clear photo of what you mean be possible please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It’s not very clear but it’s the best I can get as he’s trying to bite, there’s a hard lump hanging out

Sure thing, ok!

I am just typing my reply.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (VLMMTV2)

From the photo, the ear is red and there is a substantial amount of waxy build up.

He likely does have a bacterial or fungal ear infection.

It is important he sees a vet so we can swab the discharge and prescribe the most appropriate drops.

At home, yes, we can absolutely remove this wax.

It will help to use an ear cleaner to soften it, and we can then remove as much as possible with cotton wool.

Any large clumps of fur may need to be gently teased and cut.

The more we remove the better; we want good ventilation within the ear, and ideally no wax.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Great I will phone the vets tomorrow, I’m afraid to touch it myself as he’s biting and won’t let my partner hold him long enoughThank you for your help

That's no problem please do not put yourself at any risk.

He may be quite reactive if uncomfortable.

Do you have any further questions tonight?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No that’s everything thank you so much

My pleasure and take care.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.