Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have just picked up my shotgun dog from kennels She keeps

Customer Question

Hi I have just picked up my shotgun dog from kennels She keeps retching and has brought up white foamy stuff twice . She also seems to be breathing faster than she normally does
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does this strange breathing happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the dog have a cough as well?
Customer: that should have said shitzu sorry
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: ahe called Ellie and she’s 6 years old no she hasn’t got a cough but she keeps intermittently shivering as well
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 7 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Ellie.

Is she able to eat her dinner and go on her walks?

Are her gums pink and wet?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She has had one pouch of food since I brought her home but nothing else her gums appear pink and wet

Thank you, ok.

And is she lethargic or is she able to walk around as normal?

Does he breathing sound wheezy or laboured?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
she does sound a little wheezy and she’s breathing guite fast

Sure, ok.

Would you be able to count how many times she is breathing in one minute please?

Are you able to check her temperature with a rectal thermometer?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I counted 70 in a minute
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I haven’t got a rectal thermometer

Thank you, ***** ***** is rapid.

Did the kennels mention her cough or any cases of kennel cough they had there?

Has she ever been diagnosed with a heart murmur?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No not when I picked her up she has had kennel cough treatment I have her done every year with her other boosters
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No she hasn’t been diagnosed with heart murmur

Thank you, ***** *****

Before typing my reply, is there anything else you think I should know?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
When she barked at someone passing by the window that’s when she retched again

Ok, got it.

Please bear with me as I type my reply.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It seemed like the barking caused her to retch

Unfortunately while the booster offers some protection, it will not guarantee a dog does not develop Kennel Cough. Given her history of being in a kennels so recently, it is something we need to consider strongly.

While Kennel Cough normally causes a loud 'honking' cough with no other symptoms, some dogs can develop secondary bacterial infections which can lead to signs including lethargy, laboured breathing and a fever (which can lead to shivering).

Other considerations would include lungworm, a foreign body in the throat (such as a grass awn or blade), a fungal infection etc.

If she is happy to eat and can go on her walks, her gums remain pink and her breathing settles when she sleeps, it should be okay to have her seen in the morning.

However, if she is struggling to breathe or her signs are worsening, a vet visit is best tonight.

If the vet is concerned, they may run some tests such as a chest x-ray.

Her treatment will depend on what is found and may include e.g. antibiotics and an antipyretic (a medicine to bring the fever down).

At home, ensure the air is well ventilated and free of dust, smoke and cooking fumes.

Offer a teaspoon of honey 2-3 times a day.

Use a body harness rather than neck collar when walking and keep walks to a minimum; just for toileting.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If she has develope kennel cough could she die from it

It would be incredibly rare and would usually be associated with other underlying health issues.

It is similar to a human cold.

It is worth letting the kennels know she has a cough and they should let you know if any other dogs are reported to have the same signs.

In case she is infectious, keep her away from all other dogs while she has the cough.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help

Not at all.

Do you have any further questions tonight?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don’t think so I will just keep an eye on her tonight thank you again

If there is anything else, just let me know.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.