Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My rabbit has urine scald and her vagina is bulging out, yes

Customer Question

Hi my rabbit has urine scald and her vagina is bulging out
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this bulge? Does the rabbit lick the skin as well?
Customer: yes she does she’s not peeing properly and we noticed the bulging about an hour ago we tried to wipe her down we rescued her from somebody
JA: What's the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: We call her sprinkle and I’d say she’s about a year old we’ve only had her a few weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: shes hair has completely gone from the inside of her legs
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.

Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?

The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.

1. Miconahex plus Triz Spray by Dechra.

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also. This is just one brand example too look for. Most important look for chlorhexidine as the active ingredient with other brands too.

2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.

https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf

Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub. Topical hydrocortisone can be applied to reduce pain and inflammation.

These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores, the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.

The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.

We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Sprinkle  today. I wish Sprinkle  a speedy recovery and have great day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.