Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog swallowed some sand and saltwater at the beach. He

Customer Question

My dog swallowed some sand and saltwater at the beach. He got sick 4 times and the last time had a pink tinge
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much of the salt water did the dog eat? Do you know his weight?
Customer: Thank you. Rico is a 25kg Labrador. He didn’t swallow much salt water but potentially a bit of sand. He is in good form and ate his dinner and went for a walk since getting sick but he just vomited again and there was a pink tinge this time
JA: How long has it been since he threw up?
Customer: 20 minutes since the last time
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rico, 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Rico?
Customer: no
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 8 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Rico.

Are his gums pink and wet?

Has he been panting and does he seem bloated?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Dr.Linda. Let me check his gums

Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
His gums are pink and no he isn’t bloated
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Panting a bit earlier but not now

Ok, that is good.

Do you happen to have a photo of the recent vomit?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don’t. The most recent vomit was foamy with a pink tinge. No lumps

That's ok, understood.

Does he feel hot to the touch?

Would you be able to count how many times he is breathing in one minute?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’m afraid that he could have eaten something else at the beach but his vomit the first 2 times had sand in it
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He hasn’t done a poo since this morning which is strange as we walked after dinner and he would usually go then

Ok, understood.

An upset stomach can cause the gut to slow down in this manner.

Does he feel hot to the touch?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No he doesn’t feel hot. Sure, will I just do this my watching him or could you tell me how to count properly? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question

Not at all.

We just want to see how many times his chest rises and falls in one minute.

Each time it rises and falls, this is one breath.

You can use a clock or the timer on your phone to count a minute (or half a minute, and then times by two!).

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you! Ok I counted 17 times

And, to confirm, this is in one minute?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1 minute 10 seconds on my phone
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will do again just to make sure

No, that is perfect, certainly not too fast.

Is there anything else you think I should know?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I counted 14 that time. No I don’t think so. We went to the beach for the first time ever today as I only adopted him on Friday. He was super excited rolling in the sand playing with other dogs and he could’ve eaten something in the sand I’m not sure. We came home and he got sick twice (darkish foamy and I could see a couple of chunks of his treats and sand), he had his dinner (dry nuts) and a bowl of water and then we went for a walk around the block. He was perfect and just the last time there was a pink tinge. He seems a bit sad but nothing else

That's fine, thank you.

Please bear with me as I type my reply.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I should mention he is asleep while I’m checking his heart rate if that makes a differenxe

I'm sorry Rico has been poorly and understand your concern for him.

It sounds likely he has an upset stomach brought on by the sand or sea water ingested.

While both can pose dangers, they need to be eaten in significant quantities to do so. A small amount of sea water should not cause salt toxicity and a small amount of sand should not cause an impaction or obstruction.

While the pink is a concern, it may simply be due to the inflammation caused by the previous vomits, making the food pipe and stomach more prone to bleeding a little.

Having said the above, as there is a risk of toxicity and/or impaction, we do need to be cautious.

If he continues to vomit, there is more blood brought up, he becomes bloated or he seems lethargic or has pale gums, I'd want him seen right away.

Otherwise, offer regular drinks of water and rehydration solution like Oralade if you have any.

Starve him for now but offer a small meal of chicken and rice in the morning. If he holds it down, offer the same a few hours later and continue to offer it for 24 hours. He should improve quickly.

If he cannot hold the food down or seems poorly, a vet check is important.

He may well benefit from some anti nausea medicine and antacids.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you so so much. I will wait up with him tonight and monitor him. He is snoring now I hope that’s a good sign. Really appreciate you helping me
Wishing you both a peaceful night!If there's anything else, please just let me know.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.

My pleasure!

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.