Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Red urine. rabbit, No visible symptoms just a bright red

Customer Question

Red urine.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: rabbit
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the rabbit?
Customer: No visible symptoms just a bright red patches on sawdust where she urinates.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: There is no strange behaviour. Her behaviour is normal. She's about 5 years old.
JA: What is the rabbit's name?
Customer: Ada.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Ada.

Do you have a photo of her urine?

Is she lethargic, drinking more, off her food or straining to pee?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ada is eating normally as far as I can tell and is behaving normally too. I haven't seen her straining to pee. She is certainly not lethargic and still bounces around.
Thank you for this information.Has she ever had these signs before?
Any change in her diet or routine?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for this. I think, for a week, she hasn't eaten the green beans I usually give her, but otherwise her diet is the same. I went away for a week and others looked after her, giving her some coloured pink and green rabbit toys to nibble (could the dye in these toys - one was pink - cause this? I took these away a couple of days ago). I don't recall having seen these signs - reddish urine) before.
Thank you.It would be unusual for something like this to cause red urine; red stool possibly, but only if a lot was ingested.
Before typing my advice, is there anything else I should know?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks. Nothing else to add.

Sure thing, ok.

Please bear with me as I type my advice.

I'm sorry Ada has been passing this red urine and know you will be concerned.

With signs like this, at her age, the top considerations would include:

• Bladder stones
  • A bladder mass
  • A urinary tract infection
  • A cut on or near the vulva
  • A uterine tumour

While red urine can be diet related, this does not sound to be the case here.

I'd advise a vet check so we can examine Ada and feel her bladder. Ideally, we'd also analyse her urine, checking for any bacteria or crystals. If there is a concern, the vet may scan her bladder, uterus and kidneys.

Ada's treatment will depend on what is going on and may include anti inflammatories and antibiotics.

In the meantime, ensure she is no stressed or overheating. Monitor her appetite and thirst levels, and ensure she continue to be able to pass urine like normal.

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 11 days ago.

Is this all ok?

Do you have any further questions?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.