Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 6 month old chihuahua who is generally in very good

I have a 6 month old chihuahua who is generally in very good health. However over the past 2 weeks she has vomited about 5 times. Initially I put it down to the heat and a bit of anxiety as although she vomited she wasn't unwell in any other way and was immediately back to her usual self. However I have recently noticed that she has been shaking her head and scratching her ears a lot in the past few days, she also appears a little clumsy, not landing her jump and bumping into a door. Could an inner ear problem cause vomiting? She is generally well otherwise.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: Twice she has vomited and its looked white and like a sausage however all other times it has been liquidy/ foamy
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: No I'm really careful with what she eats as I've been told chihuahua's can have sensitive tummys.
JA: And what's the Chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sage?
Customer: No she is generally healthy, very inquisitive and very lively

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Sage.

Are her ear canals red, waxy or smelly?

Do her eyes flicker from side to side?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have tried to look inside her ears and I can't see anything out of the ordinary and they don't smell. No her eyes don't flicker from side to side

Thank you, understood.

Has she had a recent diet change?

Was she wormed in the last month?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I did give her the same food but from a tin instead of a sachet but she didn't take to it and that was about 2 weeks ago but it was literally the same food but in a tin! Yesterday I did give her the worming medication but she only ate about half of the dose!

Ok, thank you.

Has she had her first season?

When did Sage last see the vet?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She hasn't had her first season yet and she last got a clean bill of health when she had her second vaccination on 14th April

Thank you, ***** *****

Before typing my reply, is there anything else you think I should know?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No as I say I'm concerned about the vomiting and ear scratching but generally she's happy and healthy

Thanks, ok.

Please bear with me as I type my reply.

I'm sorry Sage has had these signs and know you will be concerned.

Given her vomiting, head shaking, ear scratching and clumsiness there are a few considerations including:

• An inner ear infection, as you rightly say
  • A foreign body within and ear (such as a grass awn)
  • A toxin build up
  • An infection that may be affecting her balance centre

Given all of her signs, a vet visit is important.

They can examine her and look inside her ear canals.

They should assess both her orthopaedic and neurological function.

If concerned, they may also run some tests such as a blood test.

Her treatment will depend on what is found but may include e.g. anti nausea medicine, antibiotics and/or anti inflammatories.

At home, keep her meals bland and feed her little and often.

Hopefully she is back to normal very soon.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Not at all.

Do you have any further questions tonight?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @Doctor.Simmon at the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.