Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Guinea pig has been bit by he’s brother on he’s neck and

Customer Question

My Guinea pig has been bit by he’s brother on he’s neck and he’s lay on he’s side and can’t walk
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the guinea pig been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: about 3 hours now
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: he’s called milo and is 1 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Milo?
Customer: No thank you
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Milo.

To confirm, he has not walked at all?

If you put him standing, can he hold his own weight?

If you pinch his toes, does he feel it?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When he tries to walk he has to drag he’s right side of he’s body, and no he can’t hold he’s own body weight but he can feel it when I touch he’s toes

Thank you, understood.

Has he been eating and passing stool?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He had a nibble of a few leaves before from our garden and yes he’s passing, he’s bleeding from he’s wound and breathing quite fast, i feel so helpless because I can’t afford to get him seen I’m so so worried

He has a wound? Ok.

Could you please send a clear photo of this?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (VL3L43S)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is that clear enough
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He was in the garden with he’s brother when this happened and I think it was he’s brother that did it but I wasn’t there to know
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (1GM4LP6)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Also thank you for your replies and help today I’m just so so scared I don’t want to lose him

Thank you, yes.

It looks like a puncture wound.

I'm sorry, I know this must be very worrying for you.

I am just typing my reply now.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay thank you for your time

Unfortunately whatever has happened, it does seem as though Milo has sustained a serious injury.

We'd worry about shock, internal bleeding and perhaps damage to his spine and/or spinal cord.

Guinea pigs are a prey animal, meaning they try their best to pretend they are fine even when not. This is so they are not a target for predators. For Milo to be laying on his side, we know he is extremely poorly.

He certainly does need veterinary attention and likely needs some anti inflammatories, pain relief and antibiotics.

He may also require supportive care such as fluids and syringe feeding, especially if his appetite is reduced or he is less able to get to his food and eat.

On top of this, we would want to flush his wound through.

If finances are a concern, it may be possible to have a payment plan or pay on credit.

If eligible, you can seek assistance from a pet charity, but many are not open 24/7 I'm afraid.

At home, we are quite limited as he does need prescription medicine.

We can gently clean the wound with salt water and 'nurse' him by offering regular syringe feeds and water.

Try to keep handling to a minimum and stress levels down.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay thank you so much for that are they’re anything atal that I can do to try and make him survive the night until I can get him to my closest PDSA, he’s breathing pretty fast I’m so scared

As I say, we are limited at home, but it will mainly be 'nursing'.

Keeping him clean, warm and comfortable.

Ensuring he is eating and drinking and keeping stress levels low.

I'm so sorry this is happened and hopefully he is feeling better very soon.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay well thank you for your time I will do everything that you have said and I’m going to get him straight to a vets in the morning, thank you again

Not at all and wishing Milo all the very best.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.