Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Almost 13yo female labrador weeing & pooping in the house,

Customer Question

Almost 13yo female labrador weeing & pooping in the house, used to cry to be let out
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern.

When did this start?

Is she aware she is doing this or do they drop out?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Around 1 week ago, she is aware as its in a pile or the same corner. When I work from home I leave the back door open & she goes out to do it

Thank you, understood.

Is she drinking more or peeing more than usual?

Is he stool sloppy?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No & no its her normal solid poo

Thanks!

Has she been getting slow or stiff in recent months?

Any signs of dementia, such as pacing, acting confused, staring into space or excessive barking?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Slow yes, she doesn’t show interest in a walk anymore & lays on her bed alot. Still her happy waggy self & eating / drinking as normal.No limping or signs of pain
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She does also stare into space, no barking or crying though

Right, ok. Understood.

Is she on any medication right now?

When did she last see her vet?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She paces yes
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No medication,
Around 2 years ago just for a check up & nails cutting

Ok, thank you.

Before typing my reply is there anything else I should know?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I dont think so no, she is generally fit & well. Never had any health concerns

Thank you for such quick and clear replies!

I am just composing my advice now, please bear with me.

I'm sorry she has been doing this and know you will be concerned, and likely frustrated.

It is not that uncommon for an older dog, especially a large breed, to start to toilet more inside. There can be a few causes including;

• Joint disease making it harder for them to make it outside and to posture
  • Canine dementia, which can affect many aspects of life and also causes a toileting regression
  • A urinary tract infection
  • A neurological disease

At this point, a vet check is sensible in case she may require some medication in the form of joint supportive anti inflammatories (to improve mobility and encourage movement).

The vet can check her all over, performing a neurological and orthopaedic assessment.

They can also discuss if perhaps canine dementia is a factor. There is no test for this, but they should be able to recognise the signs (if present) from what you tell them. While there is no treatment, affected dogs can benefit from supplements and a medicine called Vivitonin. It is also important to keep their routine predictable.

For now, offer as many toileting opportunities as you can.

Be sure not to tell her off for going inside, as this could make things worse. She won't be doing it out of 'protest' but more because she cannot help it.

Do clean up any stains with an enzymatic cleaner to prevent the odour lingering and the urge to 're soil'.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.