Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I thought one of my chickens was egg bound as she had

Hi. I thought one of my chickens was egg bound as she had symptoms. I can't feel an egg in her vent but her abdomen was red & swollen. It's not red today tho. She eating & drinking tho not as enthusiastically as other chickens. She walks slowly sometimes her tail is up & sometimes down. Thought it might be gleet
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the chicken been licking or rubbing the affected skin?
Customer: No
JA: What's the chicken's name and age?
Customer: Getting & she's about 3yrs Gertie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She seems OK for a bit & then her tail drops

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
am happy to wait. Am wondering if she has a bacterial infection
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Oleksandra-Moderator
I am so sorry that Gertie is nit feeling well. Since there are no signs of an egg being bound in this area, this may be a fungal infection in her vent called gleet. This is treated by gentle cleaning in this area and the apply an antibacterial ointment in this area. This may require systemic antibiotics to resolve this for Gertie. This will require veterinary intervention to prescribe these medications to help her past this. If this is not enough, have your veterinarian examine Gertie to make sure we have not missed something important.

Does that make sense to you?

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
OK. Thank you

You are very welcome!❤️