Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My guniea pig is limping on his front paw, we give him some

My guniea pig is limping on his front paw, we give him some pain killer but low dosage and seems to help but then the limping comes back after a week or 2 weeks since he gets better
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the guinea pig's legs/feet?
Customer: Not really, maybe looking a bit red and some black in-between one of his toes
JA: And what's the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Harold and he is 1
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Harold?
Customer: No, he is eating fine , popping fine, drinking, just struggling to walk a bit

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Harold.

Has he been examined by a vet?

Can you see a broken claw, redness or any swelling?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
His paw is a little bit red, no swelling and no broken claw

Would this show up in a photo?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I think so yes, but at the moment it's late where I am and dark , I would be able to take a picture in the morning if thats okay

Yes, of course.

This window stays open.

Has Harold seen a vet at this point?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thank you and no not yet I was going to take him to vets but wanted an opinion first

I understand!

As soon as that photo comes through, I can let you know what I think.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thank you

Sure thing.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm unable to take a photo at the moment, but I did get a video , and can see that when he walks he lifts up his front paw
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't think it will let me send video
Could you perhaps take a screen shot from the video and send as an image?Alternatively you can upload the video to e.g. YouTube and forward me the link.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
https://youtu.be/U6x4TSFoBrw
I will also send a photo on here if I can a bit later

Thank you, ***** ***** certainly see how badly he is limping, bless him.

Do you think a photo of the affected foot would be an option?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will try and get a photo when I can , he is a wriggler aha

No problem, thanks!

If you cannot get one, please let me know and I can provide advice regardless.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (7TM12VL)
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (GZPTSVT)

Thanks, ***** ***** really clear.

I am just typing my reply now.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Its weird because when we give him some pain killers he is fine then after a week or 2 he starts limping again, worried it might be bumble foot
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you so much

Given the appearance of the paw, I am concerned for pododermatitis.

This is due to bacterial overgrowth and can have many causes including a recent graze on the pad or excess pressure on the pad.

The pain killers would help temporarily as they will mask the pain but unfortunately they would not treat the infection. This explains why we get temporary resolution but then signs come back and he continues to limp.

A vet visit is important to examine all pads and as he likely needs some prescription antibiotics.

Do ensure the housing is very clean and we often need to clean out the bedding more often than not when the guinea pig has an issue like this.

It can help to bathe the pads in salt water regularly and to keep the claws trimmed (sometimes easier said than done!).

Do ensure  Harold is taking his Vitamin C supplements as he should be and is eating a balanced diet and is not over weight.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is what I thought he might have but wanted a opinion, will definitely be taking to vets to get it checked and to give them this information, thank you so much ,

Ok, perfect!

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No that's all, thank you so much

Sure thing and all the best to Harold.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much