Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My daughter bought a 2 year old Pekenese dog from a breeder

Customer Question

My daughter bought a 2 year old Pekenese dog from a breeder who said she couldn’t breed him. My daughter doesn’t want to breed him.this breeder after nearly two years is harassing my daughter as she hasn’t had him neutered. My daughter has an older male Pekenese as well who hasn’t been neutered . They are beautifully left well fed groomed every day. This person is telling my daughter that the dog will die of cancer if she doesn’t have him done. He’s so well she doesn’t want to cause other problems if she put him under an operation. I would be grateful for your advice. Thank you
JA: I know how worrying cancer can be. Let me get you the Vet right away. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share?
Customer: both Pekenese are so well the older one is 7 and the young one is 2. Both are so well my daughter doesn’t wNt to have either neutered. They are never left alone all day and are cherished. This person is threatening my daughter and wants to ring her vet. It’s a disgrace. I read a gif could over bladder problems after neutering they are so well I do want to risk anything . I myself have had a daschund for 18 years never had him neiutered and he died only of old age at 18 .
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.
If she purchased the bitch and made an agreement or signed a contract with the breeder to agree she would be neutered, this should be done. The breeder sold the birch under the understanding that this would be done and presumably wouldn't have sold the bitch otherwise.
Most vets advise neutering as it eliminates the risk of uterus infection and reduced the risk of mammary cancer.If she's living with a male, she will likely become pregnant next season. We would need to keep them apart at all times; this is hard and can cause both dogs distress.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I need some advice about this. It’s absolutely ridiculous that a person who was paid £800 fo a 2 year old peke and she’s being harassed about this after 2 years of having him .
Okay.So the issue is the harassment? In this case, she should contact the police to make them aware of the situation.With regards ***** ***** side of things, I am very happy to answer any questions you have.
Oh I have just realised he is a male. It is much less common for breeders to request males are neutered. However, if it is something that was in the contract, it should be adhered to. If not, the breeder has no say in the matter.
For males, the benefits include a reduced risk of prostate disease and an eliminated risk of testicle torsion and testicular cancer.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There was no contract My daughter signed nothing. I just want to know that it’s not doing him any harm as he is he’s got and healthy well looked after and as we’ve had male dogs befor living to a ripe old age I don’t know what she’s worried about after us having him gif two years. Thank you.

Thank you for clarifying.

There are pros and cons to neutering and, as I say, there is no blanket health recommendation for males to get neutered.

As I mentioned, there are some potential health benefits. However, there is an increased risk of obesity and joint disease after neutering.

Unless advised to by his vet, there is no medical reason he should be neutered.

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.

How does this all sound?

Do you have any further questions about this?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.