Dr Megan
Dr Megan, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110745586

My 5 month old puppy has vomited 5 times on and off

My 5 month old puppy has vomited 5 times on and off throughout the course of the day and he doesn't seem to want to eat any food or drink any water. He eat a little dry kibble then vomited it straight back up. He has also had a couple of loose poo's as well. He seems to be tired and just wants to sleep.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He just doesn't seem like himself. Just doesn't want to do anything.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My 5 month old beagle puppy has vomited on and off throughout the day (about 5 times in total) the vomit is clear with some bubbly foam in it. He also has done 2 runny loose stools and seems to have to energy and just wants to lay down and sleep. He did try and eat a small amount of food this afternoon but vomited it back up after 15 minutes or so.
Hello, I am Dr Megan and I will be helping you today, Sorry to hear that your pup has vomiting and diarrhoea. 

Just a few more questions for you:

• any changes in his diet? eaten anything new yesterday?
  • Is he fully vaccinated?
  • What time was the last vomit?

• Can you check the colour of his gums for me? do they feel moist or sticky?
  • How is his breathing? relaxed/normal or faster?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
yesterday he tried some pieces of fresh water melon. Which had the seeds and rind removed. His never tried this fruit before. He is up to date with all his vaccinations. The last vomit was about two and a half hours ago. I will check his gums now. He is also currently teething and lost another tooth last night. His breathing is relaxed and his not panting at all.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
His gums are all pink and slightly moist.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am more concerned that he doesn't want to drink any water. He will lick an ice cube from my hand but his not drinking from his water bowl. He has urinated a couple of times today as well.

Ok thanks for all the information. Thats good his gums are pink and moist, and breathing normal, and that he has passed urine a few times. Yes, we have to be careful about dehydration. I am going to write a long reply with some advise that will take about 10 mins

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay thank you much appreciated.

Vomiting and diarrhoea, or gastroenteritis, is very common in puppies and lots of different things can cause these signs including:

1. A sudden change in dog food
  2. Eating something outside/rubbish/human foods
  3. Parasites: internal worms
  4. Infections: e.g. parvo virus (VERY serious infection which often causes vomiting, diarrhoea with blood, decreased appetite, lethargy)
  5. Allergy/food sensitivity
  6. Inflammatory bowl disease
  7. Ingesting a Foreign body (including bones, sticks, and other objects)
  8. Ingesting a toxin
  9. Lots of other possible causes. 

In puppies, vomiting and diarrhoea can be more serious as young pups can quickly become dehydrated or have a low blood sugar level if they stop eating. Thats why we need to take extra care with them.

If he has vomited a few times but is now settled, breathing normally, bright in himself and walking normally we could monitor him tonight and tomorrow.

1. Tonight offer him a very small portion of plain cooked chicken (1 tablespoon). I am not too concerned if he doesn't eat tonight aa he is feeling nauseous.

2. Encourage him to drink water- little amounts regularly. Either using a syringe or teaspoon (5ml every 30 mins until bedtime).

3. Tomorrow you could offer him VERY SMALL PORTIONS of a bland diet such as plain cooked chicken/white fish (no bones, no skin) and boiled rice/boiled sweet potato/well cooked porridge made with water.OR purchase a few tins of dog sensitive/gastrointestinal canned food from the pet shop/vet clinic if you would rather not home cook.  2-3 tablespoons every 3-4 hours if possible to help small amounts through his intestinal system to help get his tummy back to normal.

4. For the diarrhoea: Purchase a pro kolin paste which contains probiotics and kaolin to bind up the diarrhoea quickly (available from vet clinics or pet shops e.g. pets at home). Given twice daily into the mouth or onto food for three days.

5. If he is a little brighter in the morning, then it can take a few days with the above treatment for him to be back to normal.

6.  I am not too concerned if he doesn't eat tonight a she is feeling nauseous.However, it is important to keep him hydrated. If he is still unwell in the morning (e.g. vomiting, dull, not eating anything) then he needs to see a vet tomorrow for an appointment to rule out anything serious underlying and start some medications (e.g. anti vomiting injection). 

7. Signs that he needs an emergency check up this evening:  vomiting frequently and not settling in the next few hours, breathing faster than normal, gums very dry or pale/very dark, Very weak/struggling to walk etc.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thankyou for all the information I will follow your advice. I did speak to my vets today and they gave me some advice like yours. I will keep a close eye on him and if I suspect he is getting worse I shall seek an emergency appointment with my vets straight away. Even if his feeling slightly better tomorrow I will still book him an appointment to see the vets to be checked.

No problem at all, really hope he is feeling better soon. Please feel free to give me an update tomorrow or let mw know if you have any questions/concerns overnight.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will do, thank you Dr Megan.

Glad I could help, Hope he is feeling better soon.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Just a quick update on my puppy. He drank little sips of water on and off last night. He didnt want to eat anything but slept the whole night through. He didnt vomit last night and once we woke him up this morning he was jumping up and down and seemed to have so much more energy. He went straight to the garden and did a wee then he did a poo, which was a mixture of solid and a little runny but nothing like yesterday. He also ate a small bit of kibble and he seemed to really enjoy that and he was hungry. Should I continue to keep a close eye on him and keep his meals very small and ensure he gets plenty of water? If he does vomit again or start to seem not himself again I will take him into the vets.
Thanks for the update. Aplogies for the delay.

He should be fine to monitor. Feed very small portions of food regularly (bland if possible)

Consider pro kolin paste to help get stools back to normal/firm
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks for your help. :)

Hope he is doing ok?