Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My pet african soft fur rat has a problem with back legs, I

Hi, My pet african soft fur rat has a problem with back legs
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the rat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I have noticed 2 weeks ago, her back legs were kind of slower and moving different than usual, since then it got a little bit worse
JA: When was the rat last seen by a vet?
Customer: I have called vet I used to go with my other pets but they said have not much experience with rodents Also my rat is a rescue and never let anyone touch her so it’s impossible to even examine her
JA: What's the rat's name and age?
Customer: Rosie, 1,5 She’s african fur rat so something between rat and mice
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Rosie?
Customer: I am not 100% sure but one of her eyes sometimes is less open

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Rosie.

The most common cause of hind limb paresis (weakness)/paralysis is degenerative/intervertebral disc disease (a "slipped disc") although advanced osteoarthritis of the spine can manifest similarly.

A rodent vet might prescribe a potent nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) in the hopes that doing so will relieve pressure on Rosie's spine but if nociception (deep pain perception) has been lost in her hind limbs, her prognosis for recovery to reasonable function is grave.

I regret that vets aren't allowed to prescribe through this venue.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much for your answer.
What the anti inflammatory drug would be? Could I buy it without prescription?
Or I could suggest the vet we go to what they could prescribe?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have found online that aspirin could be helpful ?
The prescription NSAIDs such as carprofen and meloxicam can be given to rodents but require an attending vet to prescribe.  Regrettably, vets aren't allowed to prescribe through this venue.  You can see if over the counter ibuprofen will be of value.  It would "off label" and dosed at just 0.1 mL up to twice daily when using the infant/children's ibuprofen such as Calpol (or generics).

That's a tiny dose requiring a tuberculin syringe without a needle to dose properly. I don't have a recommended dose for aspirin in rodents.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much, your advice is very helpful.
It's my pleasure.  If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’ve bought Calpol for children and will dose as you advised.
Can finish the conversation, thank you once again :)
It's my pleasure.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.