Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Guinea pig has a hanging nail, This morning, the nail was

Customer Question

My Guinea pig has a hanging nail
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the guinea pig's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: This morning, the nail was torn but is now hanging on the skin is exposed
JA: Have you seen a vet yet about the nail tear?
Customer: yes but they are not available till Friday
JA: Did the guinea pig bleed at all from the tear?
Customer: Yes
JA: And what's the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: eris age 3 female
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: NoCustomer: Chat is completed
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Eris.

Is it hanging so loosely you could remove it by gently pulling?

Is Eris eating and active?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I cannot pull it off but it is slowly coming off it self, I have treated it with salt water, she’s on fleece bedding anyway, I have moved her into a smaller section for the time being with her favourite hidey and sister to keep a closer eye, she’s eating and drinking well with no signs of discomfort
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is also walking around, I have removed hideys she usually jumps on/off for the time being.

Thank you for this, I'm glad to hear she seems otherwise well.

If the claw is almost off, it may well fall of naturally over the next 24 hours.

If she tolerates it, we can gently move or twist it every so often, to encourage this.

We do want it to come away as otherwise it will snag on things and can cause ongoing pain.

We also want to be able to thoroughly clean the quick of the nail, once the claw has come away. We need to do this once or twice daily for the first few days.

Afterwards, the area should scab over quickly and a new claw will soon grow.

If her claw will not come off and/or we notice limping, swelling or redness, it is important she sees a vet.

We sometimes need to help guinea pigs removing these claws.

Some piggies also require anti inflammatories and antibiotics.

How does this all sound?

Do you have any further questions?

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @</bCustomerat the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.