Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat was speyed yesterday and was given meloxicam. I was

Hi, my cat was speyed yesterday and was given meloxicam. I was to give her a 2.7kg dose. The syringe given was for 1ml. I have misread the instructions and given her 2.7ml and not 0.27ml. I gave her this this morning. She has been eating and drinking fine. Should i be worried?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: I have accidentally overdosed her with meloxicam. I read the instructions wrong. She was to get 0.27 ml and not the 2.7ml i gave her.
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: It was over 12 hours ago i gave her it and she has been eating and drinking fine. Should i be worried?
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No she seems fine
JA: Is your cat eating normally?
Customer: Yes she is
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is your cat having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No that is also fine
JA: How is your cat behaving differently?
Customer: Shes not
JA: OK. No obvious behavior changes. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that is all

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to about this and understand your concern.

The syringe given should not have been a syringe that measures in mls, it should have been the specific Meloxicam syringe.

Could you please send a photo of it?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I cant seem to upload it. It starts at 0.2ml and ends at 1ml
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The medicine name was actually rheumocam

This is a 1ml syringe, yes.

So you filled it up to the top almost 3 times and gave all doses to her?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i did. Totally misread the instructions

Ok, thank you.

What strength Rheumocam was it?

Could you perhaps send a photo of the front of the packaging?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
0.5mg/ml

I am just typing my reply.

While we can give slightly higher doses than what was prescribed, she has had quite a high overdose.

Cats can safely tolerate 0.5mg/kg, or 5 times the therapeutic dose, but she has had double this.

There is some concern here, for possible gastrointestinal signs, or even a stomach ulcer or kidney disease.

As it was a one off, hopefully she will not suffer any ill effects, but it is possible.

As it has been more than 4 hours, it is no longer useful to induce vomiting.

However, we could start a fluid drip and offer activated charcoal.

If it is an option to have her seen out of hours to do this now, this is the option with least risk.

The alternative is to monitor closely for the next few days to ensure she remains well and has no symptoms.

We should offer a bland diet of chicken and rice and plenty of water.

I would not give any more of the medicine, even when next due.

It is also important to call your vet once open, to make them aware.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She has been eating her food as normal and has been drinking fine. Im so annoyed that i have been so stupid! I will definately call the vets in the morning. By that point she will be 2 days post surgery so maybe a good time to get her checked

These things happen; you certainly are not the first owner to do this.

Do you have any further questions tonight?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there any particular side effects i should be looking out for over the next few hours? Thank you for your help.

Yes, so things like:

• Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Bloody or tarry stool
  • Lethargy
  • Pale gums
  • Fast breathing
  • Excess thirst
  • An increase in urination or an absence of urination
  • Weakness

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok, thank you. I will keep an eye on her and give the vets a call tomorrow morning

Sure thing and take care.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @Doctor.Simmon at the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.