Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Ear infection, Dog, Lala, 7 months, french bulldog, She had

Ear infection
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lala, 7 months, french bulldog
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She had infection in other ear which has been treaded by vet but it came up in other ear now and i cant afford to take her to vets now

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Lala.

What are her signs?

When did they start?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Red ear, irritating amd itchy, keep scratching it, fungus smell
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Started few days ago

Thank you, sure.

Would a photo of her ear canal be possible?

Does she have any discharge?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Wax. I cleaned the ear today with ear cleaner given by vets when i went ti see vet month ago
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Let me take a pic

Great, thank you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (4TT7L55)

Bless her, ok.

Before typing my reply is there anything else I should know?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not really. She had infectiin in other ear as explained. Now this seems to be infected and I am wondering if this can be treated by myself somehow?

Thanks, ***** ***** just typing my reply now.

I'm sorry Lala has this issue and understand your concern for her.

Her ear canal is extremely thickened which is indicative of chronic infection.

Given her breed, it is quite likely there is an allergic component and she may be allergic to some foods and/or things in the environment (like grass, dust or mites).

Given the extent of the swelling, this is not something we will successfully be able to treat from home I'm afraid.

A vet visit is needed for several reasons:

• She will need some strong prescription anti inflammatories to reduce the swelling so medicine can be put in the canal
  • The ears should be swabbed to check for mites, yeast and/or bacteria
  • She will also need some prescription antibiotic / antifungal drops for her ears
  • Ideally we'd examine her all over, including her skin, to assess for signs of allergic skin disease
  • We need to ensure her eardrums are not ruptured

Unless we get on top of this now, she will likely continue to suffer with ongoing issues in her ears.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you. I will take her to vets. Thanks for your help

Not at all.

Do you have any further questions tonight?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She eats raw beef mixed with dry hyperallergenic food. Is there any chance that she can have reaction to food?

Yes, certainly. Beef, for example, is a common allergen.

Dogs can be allergic to any food including meats, grains, peas etc.

We could trial a hydrolysed diet such as Royal Canin Anallergenic. This food has been broken down so those with allergies will not react. When giving a diet like this, we cannot give any other foods, treats or dental sticks.

It can take 8 weeks to see a change.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
is it worth to try to slowly change her to dry food only?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Will it be enough nutricion? Hyperallergenic dry

It can be wet or dry, but a hydrolysed diet would be advised.

These are complete diets meaning they provide all of the nutrients the dog needs.

This won't resolve her ear issue but is a sensible move if she does have allergies.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok i shall see vets and give her dry only amd no more raw meet. Can i just move her to dry food only straight way from tomorrow?

Whether the food is wet or dry does not make a difference.

It is about it being hydrolysed.

Any diet change should be made gradually over several days.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok will introduce it slowly then
Customer: replied 7 days ago.

Not at all and take care.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @Doctor.Simmon at the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.