Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

It's a budgie, Since today, she's shaking lil bit and very

JA: Hi there. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: It's a budgie
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the budgie's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Since today, she's shaking lil bit and very sleepy and she looks like she's cold
JA: How has the budgie's appetite been? Any changes in her stool?
Customer: Didn't eat today and her poo is really watery
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: Only apple And their specific foid Food Her partner the male is fine
JA: What's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: Freya and she's 10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Freya?
Customer: No not really, she's been fine and eating and cheeky and full of life until today

I'm sorry to hear about this with Angel.

It's important to note that once a budgie acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Angel's clinical signs of fluffing (an attempt to conserve heat), somnolence, (sleepiness), anorexia, and diarrhea/polyuria (excessive urine)? are important signs but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. They represent what we call “sick bird syndrome” - acute onset illness with an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs.

An avian-oriented vet (theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets) might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Freya's choana - the slit between her oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be helpful as well.

Until Freya can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 29.4C by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. If she appears weakened, remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water-soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand Vita-Drops to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Freya's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should comprise less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard-boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese - yes these low lactose foods are safe, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

For tricks in transitioning her to a formulated diet please see here: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com and click on “Feeding Harrison's”. Here's another good bird food manufacturer's take on this: https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/Dietary_conversion.pdf

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Freya's food: apples once a week and her usual budgie seeds from pet shop

Thank you.  Regrettably, she's malnourished.  Do your best to supplement both of your birds with those other foods I posted above.  For now, add the vitamin and calcium supplement I mentioned above to their drinking water.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Thank you Michael
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Really appreciated your help

You're quite welcome.  If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Michael, if she feels like this how can I feed her because she's not even moving?

You may not be able to.  If she's that ill, an avian vet will need to hospitalize her for a few days and tube feed her with a very rich formula.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Thank you Michael, really grateful

It's my pleasure.  My best to Freya.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.