Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I fed my dogs beef mince with their food without realising

I fed my dogs beef mince with their food without realising it had some cooked onion and garlic powder in it. it was about two dessert spoonfuls to each dog. they are not currently showing any adverse signs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I’ve only just realised - but they have eaten their dinner now. The larger dog, they are both Pomeranian, are all his quickly, and the smaller one I managed to take it away from him. I don’t think he ate much.
JA: Has he thrown up since eating the?
Customer: It was mixed in with their regular food. No, neither has
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: yhe small one , he is hand size is running around as usual. Arlo, 3 years and Milo 1 year.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Arlo?
Customer: Arlo is the karge one who ate all his food. he is acting normally at the moment, still walking around I mean he is not looking weak at all, that sounded wrong.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

I understand your concern.  Thankfully, both of your dogs will remain safe.

In general, most dogs need to eat at least 5 grams of onion per pound of bodyweight (1 ounce per 6 pounds of bodyweight) for us to consider onion toxicity: anemia a few days after ingestion.

Dogs given an extract equivalent to 2.3 grams of whole garlic per pound of bodyweight daily for 7 days develop anemia 9-11 days after dosing.

As you can see, they couldn't have ingested enough onion or garlic to harm themselves.  There's no need to induce vomiting nor treat in any manner.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Wow -they definitely didn’t eat that much. Okay, am dog sitting thry are my ‘grand dogs’!

1 ounce per pound of bodyweight = 2.2 ounces per kg of bodyweight

2.3 grams per pound of bodyweight = 5 grams per kg of bodyweight

Thank goodness.  Grandma is off the hook!

If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

I regret that my veterinary board of examiners doesn't allow me to use the phone in this venue; however, another expert can see your phone request and respond to you.  You can also remain in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for all the information- no more ‘nannny’ treats from now on!

It's my pleasure.  Bring safe dog  treats with you next time!

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The dogs are gone, I really appreciate your thrill and, would definitely call again if I need to.

Thank you for your kind words.