Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

He just has a minor wound which I don’t think is too

Hi there - he just has a minor wound which I don’t think is too serious. But not sure how much of an issue it is if he keeps licking it?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry, it’s a cat
JA: When did the cat hurt himself? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: Thus evening. I was out, and it happened indoors. There’s no sign of anything broken anywhere, so not sure what he did No bleeding. Best guess is he had a burst of energy and whacked into something running around like a loon maybe
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Cat is Freddie - he’s about four or five I think. I’m just cat sitting just now so he’s not my cat
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so - he doesn’t seem in any distress, just slightly concerned about the licking and if I should look for an emergency vet tomorrow at all? I’d hate him to get infected I guessCustomer: Chat is completed

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience working out of West London. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear to this and understand your concern for Freddie.

Where is this lesion located?

Would a clear photo of the cut be possible please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It’s the top of his chest. It’s less than a cm so quite small. I can send a pic? I’m not worried about the injury as such, really just anything I should be doing to stop him licking it?

Understood, sure.

I am just typing my reply.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (SMLTQ46)

I'd wonder if this puncture mark is a cat bite he perhaps sustained when outside in recent days?

It does look quite deep.

It is very important he does not lick it as this introduces infection and delays healing.

A buster collar should be kept on 24/7 until he stops trying to lick it.

Most cats will have these from their neutering surgery.

We should also bathe the lesion with cotton wool and salt water to clean it and remove any saliva.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No - he hasn’t been out at all. He’s been staying with me in Glasgow, so has been housebound. So it’s a bit of a mystery what he did. I was out earlier and just noticed it when I got back
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would I get a collar from a vet, or anywhere else if I can’t get hold of a vet tomorrow?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’ve just dabbed it with cotton wool and warm water. It looks quite clean at least as he hasn’t been outside

And no other pets in the home?

This is strange!

As you say, perhaps he did hit himself off something, maybe the edge of some furniture.

We'd also consider an insect bite, scratch or nip from himself by accident when grooming or a foreign body under the skin.

Yes, you can get these collars from any vet reception, online and from pet shops like Pets at Home.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No. My best guess is that he had some pent up energy, ran around like a loon and just whacked into something somehow. There’s no sign of anything broken or damaged
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ah, thank you. I should be able to find one somewhere tomorrow. He has given it a bit of a clean, but hasn’t been driving him nuts yet, but presumably that maybe gets worse if it gets a bit more itchy when it starts to heal

Yes, hopefully it won't bother him too much and it heals quickly.

Do you have any further questions tonight?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No, that was all really. Hopefully a bit of tic and a collar will see it right. It just really surprised me as he’s not really having much opportunity to get into the wars, and it’s not my cat, so would hate anything to happen to him on my watch!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
tlc not tic!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How long should he need the collar do you think?

Agreed, yes!

This depends on him; as long as he has a desire to lick, the cone needs to stay on.

It usually means 2-3 days, while the skin heals over.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK, thank you

Sure thing and take care.

I hope I was able to answer your question fully.  To add me as a favourite, after rating me you can go to your ‘My Questions’ page and use the heart icon labelled ‘Favourite Expert’. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert then type @Doctor.Simmon at the start of your next chat.

Any future questions will be welcomed.

- You can check back into this window at any time with an update and further questions.

- Tips are never expected but always appreciated.