David-VAG
David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've been working on VW cars as part of my job doing repairs and diagnostics.
27984060

hi On a 2.5 volkswagen crafter 57 plate what does it mean

hi
On a 2.5 volkswagen crafter 57 plate what does it mean when the engine compression is down? does it mean the engine is faulty with damage or is it normal ?
I have a vw crafter and a dealer that sold it to me says that it is normal to have it down on a second hand vehicle, my vw garage disagrees they tell me that the engine compression on this vehicle should be no less than 21 bar on a used vehicle and because the compression is down at 18bar vw recommends that the engine should be replaced, they suspect bore wash and also they told me this engine cannot be rectified, is this accurate ?
is the engine damaged? any help is appreciated, thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Shantal

Thanks for letting me know, I will wait, thank you

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No problem thanks

Hello and welcome to just answer.

I have had a look at the information on the crafter and the compression lower limit is 21 bar. A new engine would be 31 to 25 bar.

So I would be going along with the dealers that you have spoken to and you would more than likely be looking at another engine. You could have the engine striped to see what has worn inside.

From the ones of these that I have seen with low compressions they have always had new engines fitted to them.

I hope this helps and if I can help further please feel free to ask

Dave

David-VAG, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've been working on VW cars as part of my job doing repairs and diagnostics.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hi

hope you still online.

In your opinion can I say that the engine is damaged

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hi Dave

do you know if these are engines normally not fixable

Hi I work with a VW commercial technician and he has never rebuilt one and has always replaced the complete engine. He says that they end up burning oil and if left like it they end up damaging the DPF system as they will cause it to clog up. He has not become involved in stripping them down.

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok dave Just to finalise , can say to the car dealer that the engine is damaged ? Because he tell me that this is not damage but normal , is this true .

The compression is below the recommended specifacations from VW so there is a problem with your engine. The lowest it should be is the 21 bar and that is allowing for the engine to wear as they will do. So the 16 you are getting is well below that so something is allowing the compression to drop and it needs to be rectified. So the engine is not in a normal state of wear.

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thanks dave