sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Loss of coolant is my problem, just been reading some of the

Customer Question

Hi Mike, loss of coolant is my problem, just been reading some of the articles. Had my water pump, head gasket changed and still doing it. Only once has the temp gone above 90 but that was before head gasket replaced. egr valve was bypassed and still the same. Hope you can help,
Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Once as mentioned above and serviced Sept last year. This problem has been going on for over 12 months now.
Assistant: What is the model of your '90 Volkswagen?
Customer: Transporter Shuttle 2007, 1.9 SE 102
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I haven't but everything has been done that I have seen in other answers on this site
Assistant: Anything else you want the expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: is there anything more obscure we can try?
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 20 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.
Dear customer, i would like to know some things.
does your car exhaust smoke? if so, is the smoke white?
Have you change the radiator cap and water bottle cap?
Does the car overheated always?
thanks.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hello Jose, thank you for the response. The radiator cap and water bottle have not been changed and the overheating only happened once on the motorway. Normally I refill the coolant when the warning light comes on. The smoke looks like normal exhaust so not black and not pure white. Just to let you know I am going for an operation in one hour and will not be able to respond for a few days after this. i will pick up when back home.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 19 days ago.

Hello dear customer, I hope everything going well with the operation!

Dear customer, please check the radiator cap and the coolant bottle cap looking if they are wear out or broke on some point and replace them. Let me explain, the cooling system of the engine when gets heated creates very high pressures, the caps are designed to withstand these pressures at certain temperatures, when the covers wear out they lose the resistivity to the pressure, causing them to not seal well and letting escape refrigerant in the form of vapor.
Another alternative of what may be happening is that the radiator or the thermostat are blocking in some way the recirculation of the coolant, causing the temperature to rise more than normal, exceeding the admissible pressure in the system, causing the refrigerant to escape through the caps in form of vapor.

Is there something else you would like to know dear customer? Please let me know.

I hope you have a fast recovery!

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 7 days ago.

Hello dear customer, i hope you are ok. how have your problem evolved? is there anything else i could help you? thanks.
I also would like to remind you to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen because in that way you help me grow in the platform.
Thank you very much,