Steve
Steve, Vehicle technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

Engine management fuse keeps blowing but fuelpump ok, yes,

Customer Question

engine management fuse keeps blowing but fuelpump ok
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: beetle 2004
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and looked around engine at the wiring and all ok engine did overheat initialey causing it to cutout and fuse had blown for pump but replaced and pump works when ignition turned on and off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Volkswagen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
eng man f 21 in interior fusebox operatig f pump was b lowing but has now behaved ok and pump works but still no start
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi My name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician i will try and help you.

Just to confirm I am presuming that your Beetle is petrol and not diesel.

As well as the fuse there should also be a fuel pump relay under the bonnet, this should be in position 4 but you should check your handbook to confirm.

If you can hear the fuel pump running then we should hopefully be able to confirm that the relay is ok, but its always best to check and I would examine it to ensure it has not been overheating. This may even have been the reason for the fuse blowing.

Assuming that is all ok, you need to ensure that even though you can hear the fuel pump working, that it is actually pumping fuel. It could well be the case that the fuel pump has been the reason for the blowing fuse, but is now running without resistance and not pumping. That may be the fuse isn't blowing now.

I hope this helps but please get back to me with any further details and I will do my best to help.

Please if happy click accept and rate, you can still continue to ask any questions even after doing this.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have tested relay and all working have fuel up to inj but have no spark now have all volts to coil ,but no h.t
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

given that information I would suspect either the coil pack or the crankshaft sensor, this would allow the coil to be fed but not triggered.

If you have access to a code reader then you may be able to confirm this.

I would still be concerned as to why the fuse continued to blow originally, and this may be due to a failed ECU. Or a deeper problem in the loom.

The earlier overheating engine could have been the reason for some of the problems.