sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a vw golf se 1.6 2001, the key won’t electronically

Customer Question

Hi I have a vw golf se 1.6 2001, the key won’t electronically lock or unlock the door and my battery has died, how do I lock/unlock my car without the alarm going off preferably how do I disable it so I will be able to get into my car
Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: What is the model of your '01 VW?
Customer: Golf se
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just want to disable the alarm
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Volkswagen
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, are the door locks working manually?
Did this problem started after some kind of work of mishap in your car?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No problem thanks mate, sorry I don’t know how this works. The doors lock and unlock normal with key and do also via the button located on the offside door. It’s started to happen yesterday when I tried to turn on my car and nothing happened, there’s no ignition sound but there’s a abs warning sign and battery yet the alarm still goes off and occasionally the raidio turns on, I’m not sure if it’s the alternator or the starter but whenever I try to lock the doors from the outside after getting out the alarm goes off, I can’t turn on the my to stop this from happening because the electronic lock button doesn’t work
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can’t turn on the car to this from happening*

Thanks for your reply.
How many time do you have without replacing yur golf's battery and the key fob's battery?

When you try to start your golf, the engine does nothing? Don't you hear a noise like a click? Accompanied that all dashboard lights go out?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I recently bought this car about a month ago and I replaced the key fobs battery straight away but it never has worked so it needs replacing, I hear a slight clicking noise and yes the dashboards lights are out, lights are dim so the battery maybe flat

Yes dear customer, it is presenting a clear symptom of a flat battery. What you must do is replace it.
If the problem continues, you may also be presenting problems in the starter motor since your vehicle is 2001 and with time internal problems can occur in the starter motor, but that the lights fall on the dashboard is an important symptom that the battery does not have enough energy to spin the engine.
So go directly to replace it, in case the problem remains perform maintenance to the starter motor.
Have you understood me dear customer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it makes sense, but is there a way for me to disable the alarm on my car so it stops going off when I open and go to close it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also is there a way to charge the battery or does it have to be replaced? Can it be jump started or something?

Dear customer, the only way to do what you want is to disconnect the alarm module. This module is located at the bottom of the dashboard. Although I do not know its exact location I know that it is in this area, now disconnecting the sleep mode can make you activate the anti-theft system that's the reason why I wouldn't recommend it.

As for the battery I would recommend you to replace it because it's very likely that the previous owner hadn't done it so you can try to start the vehicle by jump start that will work but from one moment to another when you turn off and want to start the vehicle unfortunately you won't be able to do it because the battery does not have the capacity to give the necessary charge to turn on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you know roughly how much it is & is it alright for me to do it myself or should I go and get a mechanic to change it for me? As for the key fob how would I go about getting a replacement in the mean time so every time I open and close my car the alarm doesn’t go off

Dear customer, the replacement of the battery can be done by yourself is very simple, but keep in mind that you must connect the positive cable in the positive of the battery and the negative cable with the negative of the battery, do not go to exchange or touch the cables, because you could cause a short.