Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Do you have any idea where the DAB aerial is in a 2011 Jetta

Do you have any idea where the DAB aerial is in a 2011 Jetta Sport 2.0TDI. I've already looked at the connector in the C pillar and this only affects the MW/FM. The sharktooth in the roof is an empty dummy. The radio SETUP says the DAB aerial is OFF. How do I turn it on?

Hi thank you for your question, I am sorry it was not answered sooner but I will see what I can do for you.

My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified technician with over 30 years experience.

The DAB aerial should be in the shark fin on the roof, there is also an amplifier unit in the dash area.

Has the DAB ever worked on your Jetta? The DAB aerial cannot be turned on unless the aerial circuit is complete. If the DAB has worked then the amplifier may be the problem, but if it has not worked then the system may not be fitted to your vehicle.

I hope this helps but do please feel free to ask me any further questions. If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, You can still ask me further questions even after doing this.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The DAB radio does work in certain areas but very limited. The sharkfin is empty and there is no wire or wires evident nearby. Why have a DAB radio but no aerial? I'm led to believe the sharkfin is for the navigation aerial which is not part of my setup. Should I extract the radio and look for the (second) connector for the DAB aerial coax?

I have just been looking through the VAG system information, the original page I had for the Jetta showed the DAB aerial is in the shark fin this was confusing as to get to the right page I needed to navigate to Golf Saloon. This fits with your description and the shark fin is used for navigation and telephone systems, I now have I believe the system on your vehicle.

This shows a left aerial and a right aerial coming from the radio. Both aerials have an impedance converter in the circuit and then go to the rear screen aerial, this is earthed via a Frequency Modulation filter on both sides. This I think would be the first check to make, as if these blocks were not earthing correctly it would give the intermittent reception you have.

All the components are in the rear area below the window, the full list is:

Frequency modulation filter (negative wire), Amplitude modulation filter, frequency modulation filter, right and left aerial module (these go to earth and are screwed to the body) the aerial itself which is in the rear window.

I hope this helps but do get back to me again if needed, and do let me know how you get on.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks, Steve. I removed the other C pillar cover on the passenger side to expose the amplifier/filter. The black(negative wire was detached from the heater filament. I've got to get some conductive adhesive to fix it. Thanks again. Graham

Your welcome, I hope all goes well.

Best Regards

Steve

Stephen Rothwell,
Experience: Director at Steve Rothwell Limited