CarDoc
CarDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

I have a VW Passat MT58 DUH. Tried to get into my car this

Hello I have a VW Passat MT58 DUH. Tried to get into my car this morning and the ignition key would not open the doors. Is it battery driven? I can find the battery.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: No. I don't have a voltmeter
JA: What year is your Passat?
Customer: Can't you check from the registration?
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing: just used the spare key
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Are you saying that the key fob is not unlocking the car or are you talking about the manual key? Have you replaced the battery in the key fob?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The key fob is not unlocking the door. The car responds with a muted click and won't unlock. I have not used the manual key. I cannot see where a battery fits within the ignition unit

The ignition unit doesn't have a battery, every module in the car is powered by the main battery under the bonnet. I am referring to the key fob battery like in this VIDEO.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Great thanks ... all sorted.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do I still have to pay the £5.00?

Welcome :) Glad it's sorted, thank you for using JA!

I'm not sure of the charges, I only see the questions on my side.

I hope I have answered your question, if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. Your rating benefits me and helps me build my reputation. It is also a way to thank me for using my time and expertise to respond to customers. Thank you.