Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

2004 VW Bora engine starts up fine and go through all the

Customer Question

2004 VW Bora engine starts up fine and go through all the gears fine but will not move
Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: No haven't checked the base weights about it just says always engaging together going through the gears
Assistant: What is the model of your '04 VW?
Customer: Bora
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not had time to try anything yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Volkswagen
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My car goes into gear fine starts up but will not move but it was o.k.wen I last drove it
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Bilborough my car goes into gear but will not move
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 days ago.

Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay you have received waiting for a reply. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, I will try to help you.

You do not mention if your Bora has a manual or an automatic gearbox, if it is automatic then it may be fluid related and the problem may be lack of pressure in the gearbox, the first thing to check would be the gearbox oil.

If the gearbox is manual then it may be the clutch which has failed and if this is the case you will be able to select any gear without movement, the problem may also be a failed driveshaft joint and this may be spinning and not transmitting drive. If this is the case then you may hear a noise as you release the clutch.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread, if this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept you can continue to ask further questions on the matter.

Steve

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello thank you for your voice I am I take on board what you're saying but the question and I want to ask you is it can be that close I drove it they're not a problem with the clutch parts it up it was driving fine and then come back a week later fire the engine up and just wont move what is Vaseline made a driving fine not a problem with the clutch why when it hasn't been drove at all can the clutch pack up,?
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 6 days ago.

It will of course be impossible to say without examine the vehicle but is is possible for the centre plate of the clutch to suddenly break away leaving the vehicle without any drive at all.

Although very often you will begin to feel the clutch begin to slip before it fails this is not the situation in every case.

Sudden failure can occur and in your case this may well be what has happened.

Steve