CarDoc
CarDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

We had a problem with our VW Polo (FY14 XSP) the other day.

Customer Question

We had a problem with our VW Polo (FY14 XSP) the other day. It had been static but with the ignition on, etc. We had to call the AA as it would not start and the message on switching off was : check safe lock.. The AA man found that the battery was slightly low and gave the car a boost start. He found that the battery was fine and we got the battery charged up.
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: I have just out to the car to reset the journey trip gauge and when I took the ignition key out. the same message came up. Is there something wrong with the safe lock or not please?
JA: What year is your Journey?
Customer: Year - 2014 but very low mileage, about 12,000
JA: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The car seems OK. My wife has just driven it but I spotted this safe lock message as I took out the ignition key. Is there something wrong or not please?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  CarDoc replied 20 days ago.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with your car, I will do my best to help you today.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 20 days ago.

It's been a while since you posted this question. Do you still require help with this?

Expert:  CarDoc replied 15 days ago.

Since I have not received a response, I will leave you with a general answer, I hope this information helps you.

The Safelock feature is basically a mechanism which makes the car more difficult to break into once it's locked. When it is active, it disables the interior door opening levers.

The 'CHECK SAFELOCK' message is just a message reminder for you to lock the car properly when exiting.

To activate SAFELOCK on a car without keyless entry, press lock button ONCE on the key fob. Do not double press, this will deactivate SAFELOCK therefore, the interior door opening lever will still be operable. On a keyless car - touch the small indentation in the exterior door handle ONCE to activate SAFELOCK.

NOTE: If you activate SAFELOCK after exiting the vehicle, anyone still in the car, will not be able to exit the vehicle because the interior door opening levers will be disabled.

Have a great day!

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer.