sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I replaced the rear wiper and cigarette lighter fuses in my

Customer Question

hi, i replaced the rear wiper and cigarette lighter fuses in my car as they were blown, now the car isn’t starting
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: volkswagen polo s 60 2012
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced fuse
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the fuse has been replaced properly with the same power and same position so i’m not sure what’s wrong
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
no worries, please take your time and assess my problem please

Sorry for delay, just to clarify.
Did you check the ignition and starter system fuses?

What does the car do when you try to start it on?

Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
yeah i checked them, the car just doesn’t start

Will it turn over?
Is it the battery charge ok?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
it doesn’t turn over and yes battery seems to be charged

Ok, here we have 3 options we should explore in order to have the car working again.

1) Check the starter relay to see if it is working well.
2) The main battery.
3) the immobilizer is activated.

The relay and the battery if you have a tester you can check that they both have a good signal. If not, we need to replace for another one to see if there is the problem.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i don’t have a tester

If all is ok we might have a deconfiguration in the system of recognition of the key and immobilizer.

Let me explain how your immobilizer system works.

The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.

When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a bypass.

If you have a problem in the immobilizer, your vehicle will not turn on, this happens a lot when we perform works in the vehicle, it may have unintentionally done something to the battery or fuses, even a short can made the vehicle think that you were trying to turned on without its respective key and it activate the immobilizer.

In your case, the immobilizer can not verify the codes, this may be due to different factors, such as the key has been deprogrammed with the immobilizer, or that the key has no access to the vehicle, therefore the immobilizer inhibits the ignition , this type of problems is quite common so you do not necessarily have to go to the dealership to solve it, although it would be the most prudent and correct thing to do, There are auto locksmith and independent garages that can help you with your case, reprogramming the key fob, key and the immobilizer, and verify if any of the modules present damages or if there is a short.

This is done with a diagnostic tool Vagcom or with a diagnostic tool with Vw software.

Then you can locate the starter relay and test with another relay with equal, with the same amp to see if the car turns over.
If the car does turn on the lights and the console controls, it is possible that the battery is indeed ok, and the problem is the inmobilizer.