RichardM1126
RichardM1126, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
110837232

Only owned the car 2 days. Car is a VW GOLF GTD (64 Plate)

Customer Question

Only owned the car 2 days. Car is a VW GOLF GTD (64 Plate) DSG, 42k Mileage. I switch my car on in the morning after leaving it overnight - it starts to cough & struggle to keep engine running - eventually the engine switches off. I re-start the car about 4-5 times before I can actually drive off. While driving & engine is still cold - car still coughs and is at risk of turning off if I stop (start-stop is always switched off). Once car is warm - there are absolutely no problems.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes.
JA: What is the model of your '64 VW?
Customer: GTD
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not tried anything besides a diagnostic from a local garage, they said its fuel related as some of the error codes were P0088 and P0192. There were more but i didnt see.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: When car is warm, it switches on fine and has 0 problems.
Category: Volkswagen
Expert:  RichardM1126 replied 20 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to hear that your having problems with your car,

so the fault codes you mentioned relate to fuel pressure which it sounds like is only when cold,

i would recommend getting a full diagnostic check done and record any fault codes stored which will give you a starting point,

as you have only had the car a couple of days have you contacted the seller and informed them of the faults maybe return it and get refund as it’s obviously faulty

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I will be going to a vw specialist garage tomorrow morning to get a full diagnostic. And yes, unfortunately I bought the car privately
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
There was another code saying the fuel pressure sensor is faulty too, will confirm everything tomorrow morning thank you

The Vw specialist should be able to give youba very good idea of what is going on, hopefully it won’t be too serious,

hope you get to the bottom of it

many