Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have a 2006 VW Touareg. Something is wrong with the

I have a 2006 VW Touareg. Something is wrong with the liftgate notification system. The display panel on my dash shows that the liftgate is open (even though it is closed) and it beeps constantly now. Which part do I replace the one on the liftgate or the motorized unit on the back end of the vehicle (and what is that called)? Also is there a difference between the US VW part and the Euro-version part? Mine was purchased in Europe.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: several weeks
JA: Are you fixing your Touareg yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my local mechanic is working with me to fix it. I am hesitant to take it to my local VW dealer. I have had a terrible experience with them.
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Robert
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'll type rather than talk. Thanks.
Hi Robert I hope you are well. I’m sorry to hear you are having tailgate issues and I totally understand how frustrating this is. If I can take the vin I can get you a part number for the part that’s most likely to be the cause
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
let me go get it
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks I will post back shortly
Ok so typically it’s the latch itself with the part number being 7L6 827 505 DThank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK.....further question. The latch is on the liftgate? or the latch on the vehicle. The part with the motor has a piece of metal covered by hard plastic or rubber. It is loose to the touch and does not always go back into the same place when we play with the latch (on the liftgate). Which part controls the warning system on my dash?
It’s in the latch on the tailgate
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well that seems like the less expensive part so that's good.
Keep me posted
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you Kevin.
You are very welcome