Enes, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  18 yrs+. experience as Volvo & ASE Certified Master Technician.

I have a 2009 xc70 thatsdone less than 60,000 mile with noise

I have a 2009 xc70 thatsdone less than 60,000 mile with noise from the rear. The main dealer has test driven and thinks the problem is the AWD unit at the rear of the vehicle.
Is this very expensive to replace and what happens if i just ignore it, will the car eventually just become FWD
You can have bad rear differential they do cost a lot it will not harm anything other then it will get louder noise . You can always find used one for less money
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Enes, I will get it done but am short of cash just now. The fact I am not doing more damage is good to know. Many thanks for setting my mind at rest.