Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 2008 2.0ltr Diesel S40 there is rattling noise on the

Customer Question

I have 2008 2.0ltr Diesel S40 there is rattling noise on the front, I have got it checked by my local garage and he tightened the exhaust clip, I checked the plastic cover and I drove it without it, could not find the source of it.
Switch on fine and engine runs fine when in stationary and it still ok when I put my foot on gas and run the engine. on moving on low speed the rattling starts and on motor way over 30 speed it dies out.it has been like this since I bought it about a year ago. from your experiance can you please let me know the reason please.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

is the noise related to engine speed or road speed ?

is it effected by cornering ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Related to the road speed and did not vary at corners. at acceleration decreases and by pressing the clutch pedal decreases ocasionally.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Related to the road speed and did not vary at corners. at acceleration decreases and by pressing the clutch pedal decreases ocasionally.It is not convenient at this time and I would rather type.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Related to the road speed and did not vary at corners. at acceleration decreases and by pressing the clutch pedal decreases ocasionally.It is not convenient at this time and I would rather type.Also I would not be able to rectify the problem as I am 73 years old and weak in this freezing weather I Prefer to keep the record of the instructions so my son can go through them and try.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Ok then this could be an issue with the clutch release bearing?

if the noise changes when you push the pedal down then this backs this up

typically a release bearing will be noisy for several thousand miles before really needing to be replaced

you'll notice it becoming harder to change gear if the bearing starts to bind up

the fix is to remove the gearbox and replace the bearing with a new part

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Related to the road speed and did not vary at corners. at acceleration decreases and by pressing the clutch pedal decreases ocasionally.It is not convenient at this time and I would rather type.Also I would not be able to rectify the problem as I am 73 years old and weak in this freezing weather I Prefer to keep the record of the instructions so my son can go through them and try.Gear change is nice and smooth. it does not sound like the bearing. as the noise israttling as if any loose part is knocking against the other.I had my regular mechanic looked at it and he did drive the car with another and told me that it is in the engin. is ther e any chain running inside the engin?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Related to the road speed and did not vary at corners. at acceleration decreases and by pressing the clutch pedal decreases ocasionally.It is not convenient at this time and I would rather type.Also I would not be able to rectify the problem as I am 73 years old and weak in this freezing weather I Prefer to keep the record of the instructions so my son can go through them and try.Gear change is nice and smooth. it does not sound like the bearing. as the noise israttling as if any loose part is knocking against the other.I had my regular mechanic looked at it and he did drive the car with another and told me that it is in the engin. is ther e any chain running inside the engin?I have been driving it with this problem since I bought it and I do not know since when the previous owner have been driving it like this.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Related to the road speed and did not vary at corners. at acceleration decreases and by pressing the clutch pedal decreases ocasionally.It is not convenient at this time and I would rather type.Also I would not be able to rectify the problem as I am 73 years old and weak in this freezing weather I Prefer to keep the record of the instructions so my son can go through them and try.Gear change is nice and smooth. it does not sound like the bearing. as the noise israttling as if any loose part is knocking against the other.I had my regular mechanic looked at it and he did drive the car with another and told me that it is in the engin. is ther e any chain running inside the engin?I have been driving it with this problem since I bought it and I do not know since when the previous owner have been driving it like this.Hi MattIt is almost Midnight here and I am going to sleep. If there as any answer, please leave it here I shall have a look at it in the morning. Thanks very much for your help .
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

hello

there's a small timing chain in the cylinder head that drives the exhaust cam, so the main timing drive is by a rubber toothed belt on the front of the engine and at the other end ( gearbox end) there's a short chain in the head

if you remove the oil filler cap and listen as the engine is 'revved' up you may hear a 'tinkling' noise

if so then this would indicate a loose timing chain

if the engine oil is old then a drain/ flush and new filter with fresh 5W30 may help as its not unknown for the chain tensioner to become sticky with old oil deposits

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Than you Matt! I am sorry to bother you sorry for your time and effort.
I just discovered that there was a plastic cover around the column of the clutch pedal. which did not have any nuts on both sides of its bold which holds the cover on the carbody under the clutch. It was free. So that was the culprit. so we can close the conversation. ot is upto you if you can ask the web site to refund my £20. I think I deserve it as it says on your web site..Thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

well done for solving it

however you have to request the refund yourself

http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0