Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Passat, has started to cut out when it's raining or the

Customer Question

Hi my Passat, has started to cut out when it's raining or the road is too wet and gets sprayed from the car infront ...tonight the car just died on me but resarted after 30 mins or so any ideas please what the problem is?
Thanks Tom
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

if the car cuts out in the wet then its likely to be an ignition issue

So I'd begin by 1st checking that the plastic cover over the engine is intact and its seals are place.

Then removing all the ignition coils and checking the state of the rubber boot that prevents water / oil getting down into the spark plug tube

also pull the plugs out and inspect the state of the ceramic for corrosion and deposits

You can also try spraying some water on the coil packs with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt