Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have just bought a Volvo V50 1.6 diesel 2010. I had it for

Customer Question

Hi there I have just bought a Volvo V50 1.6 diesel 2010. I had it for a week when, in the cold weather it started to just cut out. I spoke to a mechanic and he said just let it run and warm up and it should be fine, it was. Since then I have done a couple of long trips and it has been fine although I little laboured over about 60mph. Two days ago I went to start it and it started but then cut out. I hasn’t started since!
I have had a mechanic out who plugged it in to the computer and all was showing fine. He checked the butterfly valve and it seemed ok, he’s checked seals and everything he thinks it could be but he is stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

From what is described here this sounds like a loss of fuel.This can be due to an issue with something like a plugged fuel filter or a weak fuel pump/injection pump.When it is started cold it needs max fuel pressure and flow and if there is a restricted fuel filter or weak pump it will cut out until it warms up.This will also cause lack of power at higher speeds like you were seeing.Now it is at the point where it will not start.The fuel system needs tested to see if the pump needs replaced or if there is another fuel component at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete