Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

There is water coming in through the interior light and some

There is water coming in through the interior light and some inthe footwell it is a s40 2012 with no sunroof
Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: I havent
Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing because im a pensioner and i have only got it a month and vovlo want £80 to look at it
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all

Hi thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician and hopefully I can help you today.

You mention that the water is coming in through the interior lamp and dripping down into the footwell. As you do not have a sunroof I am presuming that your Volvo does have a roof aerial.

This will be the source of the water as it creeps around the seal of the roof aerial and then into the vehicle.

There are two ways to address the problem. The first is to remove the aerial and dry the area then fit a new rubber seal before refitting and tightening the aerial up.

The second is easier but not 100% guaranteed, you must dry the area of roof around the aerial and then use a clear silicone sealant to form a small bead around the base, this should prevent the water creeping past the aerial and into the roof.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask me for any further details,

If this does answer you question please click accept and rate me.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It dosent seem to have anywere to come from the roof goes from back to front the only think is a little fin but thats at the back, the only place i can see is the windscreen

The little fin at the back is the aerial, what can happen is that the water creeps through the arial / fin and then runs along the underside of the roof until it reaches the interior lamp, then it drips through the lamp into the vehicle.

It may be the windscreen but any leaks from the windscreen will normally drip straight down following the curve of the screen around the seal.

I would try sealing the aerial / fin externally first as this is the most likely point of the water entering the vehicle. Ensure the area is dry before trying to seal it.

Hopefully this will seal the leak.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome do get back to me if needed.

Steve