Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Can't get AM Radio. FM is fine - but just no sound on any AM

Can't get AM Radio. FM is fine - but just no sound on any AM channel
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Would there be a separate fuse just for AM radio? The FM channels - the CD player all work fine - but no sound from any AM station
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2008 3.2 litre AM08 MZN
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to Thought there might be a setting inadvertantly turned off
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician and hopefully I can help you.

The AM radio signal is far more sensitive than the FM, and when the FM is ok and the AM is not this normally indicates an aerial problem.

It may be that the connection to the aerial lead has failed or has simply become dislodged from the rear of the radio.

It may also be the case that over time the resistance in the wire has become greater with age and this will also impair the signal. Another possibility is that the aerial itself has failed over time and is no longer strong enough to deliver a good enough signal for the AM of the radio. According to the data I have you should have the fin antenna on the roof, if possible you should also check the connection to this.

The first step would be to check the connection at the rear of the radio to ensure that the aerial is fitted correctly then move on to the aerial cable and antenna checks.

I hope this helps but please do feel free to ask any further questions.

If this answers your question please rate me and click accept. Even after you have done this I can still answer your questions.

Many Thanks

Steve