Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

The indicator light arrow is flashing on the dashboard of my

Hi. The indicator light arrow is flashing on the dashboard of my Volvo 960 from 1997. The instruction manual says that the indicator lamp arrow in the instrument panel lights up when mode W is selected, and to press that button to disengage the WInter mode but that makes no difference. I took it to my mechanic and he did a Code Read, and then topped up the transmission fluid costing £165.00 but after I drove away it flashed again. Is it serious, as in dangerous? What do you suggest I do about it? I thought it might just be a non-serious electrical fault because the car is old.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No. Is that something easy to do or should I take it back to the garage?
JA: Are you fixing your Volvo 960 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not. As I said I paid a whole heap of money to the garage and he hasn't solved the problem. I'm reluctant to go back to him..
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be clearer, it's the indicator lamp arrow which according to the manual is an indication of a fault in the automatic gearbox.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician hopefully I can help.

The yellow arrow flashing indicates that you are in winter mode, this is a common problem on your gearbox and is not normally due to the level of the fluid but due to the PNP switch or the connection.

The PNP switch is on the right hand side of the transmission. if you look at the gearbox on the side the exhaust pipe come down you should see the PNP.

The wire for it goes over top of the gearbox to the other side, it can be difficult to access, but as mentioned this is a common failure point on your vehicle and very likely the source of the problem.

I hope this helps but do ask me any further questions.

If this answers you question please click accept and rate me, even after you have done this you can continue to ask any further questions.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Steve I’ll check it out

Your welcome do contact me if you need any more information

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve, sorry not to reply earlier. I thought it might be something I could check out and rate you accordingly but then realised this was something that the mechanic would have to check out and they are suggesting it will be a very expensive job, in the hundreds, getting an electrician out etc. I can't really afford that right now, so if the problem doesn't pose a danger to driving, then do you think it's ok to leave for the time being? It's an old car so won't fit with the upcoming emissions regulations next year anyway.

While the motor is driving ok it is safe to ignore but if the changes become jerky or hesitant then it should be attended to. It can sometimes be the connection as mentioned and it would be worth getting that check out. That wouldn't take long with the car up on a ramp and so shouldn't cost a lot. But as your mechanic has already looked and was unaware of this common problem he may not be conversant with the Volvo.

If you do get it looked at let me know how it goes.

Best Regards

Steve