CarDoc
CarDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

I have v60 and had a full valet with washing seats. Now the

Hi, i have v60 and had a full valet with washing seats. Now the passengers front seat indicates the seat belt sign although no one is sitting there... I’ve gone back to the car wash and the obviously denying and wash g their hands off...
Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?
Customer: It’s the passengers one, six years old
Assistant: What year is your V60?
Customer: 2014
Assistant: Are you fixing your V60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The seat was really wet when I collected the car
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: could they have leaked something?

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Do you have leather seats? Have you inspected the electrical connectors under the seat?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi! Fabric seats. I haven’t inspected the cables. Not sure how tbh
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you think a water excess could have caused a damage or is it rather disconnected cables?

The may have sprayed water on the electrical connector which is found under the seat or they must have drenched the seat to be able to cause the problem you have now.

If the electrical connector has any sign of water, disconnect the negative battery terminal, and wait 15 minutes. Then unplug the connector and dry it out, spray it with wd40 if you have any.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. It’s very dark now so I may try tomorrow. But if they drenched the seat so badly - is this something that would get fixed by itself when it dries out?

What did they use to wash the seat, was it a carpet washer/valeting machine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I’m not sure, but I do t think it was a machine. They apparently used a water hoover to suck out the water (but clearly not very well..)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is this a frequent issue after car belt would you say? Or they were just amateurs? Could there be potentially a bad damage?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did the valet becrause I want to sell the car

It may fix itself, something is definitely shorted out, most likely with water. Try drying the seat with a hair dryer tomorrow and message back on here if you have no luck. And yeah you're right, the amount of water sprayed out should be reduced when cleaning seats, they're probably amateurs. I don't think there will be any immediate damage but it may affect the metal components in the long run, due to corrosion.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do you recommend to do first? Hair drying or disconnecting the battery and checking the cables under the seat?

Check the connector first, to see if it has any sign of water, if it does, then disconnect the battery, unplug the connector and dry it. If there is no sign of water in the electrical connector, then dry the seat with a hair dryer, also use newspaper and press down on the seat to absorb excess water from the cushion.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. Sorry, I’m a woman so need to clarify.. in order to check the connector - should I unplug the battery? The connector is under the seat right?

Welcome. Yes, only disconnect the negative terminal and wait 15 minutes before unplugging the electrical connector under the seat. The connector should be under the seat, you may need to raise the seat to get access.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I will try tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Happy to help :) All the best and thank you for using JA!

I hope I have answered your question, if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. Your rating benefits me and helps me build my reputation. It is also a way to thank me for using my time and expertise to respond to customers. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks. Do I rate you now or later (in case I have any more questions)? Will I be able to contact you after I’ve rated you?
You can do it later, because you will have to open another question to get in contact again. Message back on here tomorrow if you have any problems. You can rate this later. Thank you :)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great, thanks :)

Any update on the issue you were having?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, sadly this didn’t work.. cables checked, battery unplugged (waited 20 mins) and no change - the seat belt light is still on...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Looks like one of the sensors may have gotten damaged.. any idea how much could this cost to repair?

From what I understand, the person at the car wash must have knocked the connector or pulled on the wiring whilst cleaning the carpet under the seat and this can cause an issue with volvo cars. You will have to take it to the main dealer to get this light turned off or find an independant garage that works with volvo cars, which will be cheaper than main dealers.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah, I guess that’s my only option. Thanks for your help

Glad I could help. All the best and thank you for using JA.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks!!